What we learned today
Big idea: God is the Lord, Part 1
Moses: Exodus 2-4, God revealed Himself as I AM to Moses.
Where we're headed next time
Big idea: God is the Lord, Part 2
Ten Plagues: Exodus 5-11, God showed His power over everything by sending plagues to Egypt.
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. Isaiah 40v28
Did you know?
- The Israelites needed to learn more about their great God. They needed to trust Him and know that He is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings.
- God chose specific plagues that corresponded with the deities of the Egyptians.
- When God changed the water to blood, God judged the Nile River itself, which had been deified as a god. When dense swarms of flies poured into every place and throughout Egypt, many assert God was judging the Egyptian god Uaticht.
- The plague of boils was not only painful but also an embarrassing judgment on the Egyptian obsession with physical cleanliness and beauty.
- Through all of the plagues, God proved He alone had the right to His people. He alone is the Lord.
Connect as a family
Each night this week, take your kids outdoors. Read Exodus 5-11, one chapter per night. Each night, after you’ve read, ask your kids how they might have reacted if they’d been there to witness God’s power to control nature. Point out that God was proving that He alone is God.
After reading the Scripture passage, discuss these questions together:
- Why did God want His people to leave Egypt?
- Why did God send the plagues?
- How does God show His power today?
These questions can easily extend into the rest of the week. Look for opportunities to bring conversations about God is the Lord into your everyday life as a family.
A blessing can be a spoken prayer of commission, a portion of Scripture, or words of encouragement and guidance over your child.
A blessing to pray over your child: (Child’s name), may you give thanks and praise to God because He has power over everything.